History

photohist

On October 13th, 1869, members of Immanuel Lutheran Church, Olivette (then Straatman or Hermannsburg) met to establish a branch parochial school for their children in the Maryland Heights (then Mokeville) area. The result was a log cabin on McKelvey Road near its present junction with Dorsett Road. This was the first of several log buildings over the next fourteen years that served as a school.

From this humble beginning and with the blessing of God, Zion Lutheran Church was organized on January 1, 1883. A frame church building was dedicated on May 12, 1885. A parsonage was completed on August 9, 1888. In the late 1940s, the wooden church had declined to the point it had to be replaced. A basement church unit (today’s Parish Hall) was started in May of 1947 and was completed in October 1949. In November 1951, the sixty-six-year-old original frame church was removed. The basement unit served the congregation for eleven years until ground was broken on May 3, 1959 for the building we know today. It was dedicated on February 21, 1960.

The only remaining original building, the School House, was moved to its present location in 1979 when Dorsett Road was widened.